Click here for the resource list for children.
This list provides adoptive parents yoga and mindfulness tools to 1) increase their personal well-being and decrease their risk of caregiver burnout and secondary trauma; 2) strengthen their TBRI and connected parenting skills through improved self-regulation; 3) model mindfulness and self-care for their children; and 4) increase their self-confidence in practicing yoga and mindfulness with their kids.
To navigate this list effectively,
- Decide which format(s) would work best for you and/or your child (instructional book, MP3, CD, storybook, DVD, online video or mobile app*)
- Find the section that lists the options for that format and “preview” the material that interests you to make sure it feels like a good fit for you and/or your child’s needs
- Consider your price range**
- Return to this guide for more ideas as you and/or your child’s interests and abilities emerge.
Note that the listed age ranges are only recommendations. Also, a consistent practice is most effective; five minutes a day is better than one longer session a week.
*Format Key: P=Print; K=Kindle; PM=Prime Member; KU: Kindle Unlimited; MP=MP3; CD=Audio CD
**Amazon Pricing Key: $0= Free; $=$5 and under; $$= $6-$15; $$$=$16-$25; $$$$=more than $25
(Disclaimer: This guide includes affiliate links.)
Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering ($$P,K)
Yoga for Warriors: Basic Training in Strength, Resilience, and Peace of Mind (B. Birch, $$P,K)
- Mindful Parent, Happy Child: A Guide to Raising Joyful & Resilient Children (Pilar Pilone, $$P)
- Mindful Parenting for ADHD: A Guide to Cultivating Calm, Reducing Stress, and Helping Children Thrive (M. Berton, $$$P, $$K)
- Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time (R. Hanson, $$PK)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook (B. Stahl and E. Goldstein, $$$P, $$K)
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha (T. Brach, $$PK)
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself (K. Neff, $$PK)
Mobile Apps (iPhone and iPad)
- The Mindful Parent ($0 w/in-app purchases): The app features guided meditations for kids, mindfulness exercises for parents, and tips for integrating mindfulness into family life/schools.
- Insight Timer ($0 with in-app purchases): The app consists of a silent meditation timer and more than 1300 guided meditations (including parenting ones): It also tracks one’s practice over time.
- Buddha’s Brain ($): This app provides a comprehensive overview of mindfulness, along with guided meditations to enhance emotional well-being, focus and attention, and self-regulation.
- Calm ($0, with in-app purchases): This app contains a silent meditation timer and many guided meditations. Some of the guided meditations are free, and others require purchase.
- Headspace ($0 with in-app purchases): This app provides numerous guided and unguided meditations. It offers meditation reminders, practice tracking over time, and a buddy system.
- Happify ($0 with in-app purchases): This app tailors activities to your emotional and physical health needs, such as coping with stress, strengthening relationships, building resilience.
- Stop, Breathe and Think ($0, with in-app purchases): See description in apps for adolescents.
Other Online Resources for Parents and Adults
- Mindful.org: This website has an extensive collection of written, audio, and videos about mindfulness and how to practice it. The meditation section is especially useful.
- Selfcompassion.org: A comprehensive website run by Kristen Neff for learning about self-compassion research, self assessments, and practices.
- Left Brain Buddha: This website provides resources for developing a mindfulness practice, some of which are aimed specifically at parents/mothers.
Thanks to Tree Frog Kids Yoga and Elisha Bidwell for compiling this list.