Image courtesy of AKARAKINGDOMS / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
One tool to help develop your child’s emotional intelligence, empathy, and feelings vocabulary is feeling cards. These can also be used during family nurture group time.
- Charades. Have you or your child draw a card from the deck and act out the feeling. Others try to guess which feelings is being demonstrated.
- Guess who I am. Have each person put an unknown card on his forehead using HedBanz* or a homemade version. Treat people based on the emotion their card is showing. See if everyone can guess their card.
- Name the emotion. Let your child hypothesize the emotions being felt by characters in a story by pointing to the appropriate cards as you read together.
- Create a story. Draw 3 cards from the deck and tell a story that where the characters feel those emotions.
- Mirror. Draw a card and try to match the face.
- Once upon a time. Draw a card and tell a time that you felt that way.
Click here* to buy a set of feelings cards or make your own using clip art or photos of your and your child.
*This is an affiliate link.